Saturday, August 29, 2026

She's #1 -- VOTE and support efamily member Kathleen Leonard's granddaughter - READ IN HER OWN WORDS WHY YOU SHOULD VOTE!!

 VOTE Aliya Youth Athlete of the Year - CLICK HERE to VOTE!! Read to the end - such a compelling story! Very proud of this young lady! 


Lacrosse

● Yale commit 2027

● U.S. U-17 Combine (2024, 2025)

● U.S. U-17 National Team midfielder

○ U.S. U-17 Rivalry Challenge International champion (2025)

○ U.S. U-17 Brogden Cup International champion (2025)

● American Select Long Island Black Team midfielder (2023-25)

○ American Select MVP (2023)

○ American Select All-Tournament Team (2024)

● Juniors Open First Team (2024)

● National Watchlist (2023, 2024, 2025)

● Gait Athlete (2023-present)

● Top Tier Athlete (Golden Tier 2025-present)

● Babe Dickinson Outstanding Female Athlete Award – Freshman Year

● Ward Melville Varsity Lacrosse class A ( 8th grade-present)

○ Suffolk County Champion | All-League (2024)


Soccer

● Ward Melville Varsity Soccer Class AAA (8th grade -present)

● 3x State Champion

● All-League 2024

● All County 2025

Track

● All County 2026 (600m)

● All State Team 2026 (4x800) and (4x400)

● All American 2026 (4x400)

Academics

● 96.886/100 Unweighted GPA | 101.290/100 Weighted GPA

● All Honors and AP Course Load

● AP World History Exam:Score of 5(sophomore year)

● AP U.S. History: Score of 5

● AP Pre-Calculus: Score of 5

● AP Language and Composition: Score of 5

● National Junior Honor Society – Inducted 8th Grade

● World Language Honor Society

● Spanish Honor Society

● Key Club Member

● Team Ward – Mental Health & Wellness Initiative Board Member

● S.A.L.T. (Student-Athlete Leadership Team)

● National Honor Society


Hi! I’m a 2027 Yale lacrosse commit from Ward Melville High School, and I’m excited to share

a little bit about my journey. I’ll be attending Yale to continue my education and play lacrosse, an

opportunity I’m incredibly grateful for. Because Yale does not offer athletic scholarships, I’m

looking for ways to help make the cost of my education more manageable for my family. Any

support would mean so much to me as I take this next step.

I’m also honored to be participating in the Youth Athlete of the Year competition, a nationwide

program recognizing young athletes for their accomplishments, character, leadership, and impact

both on and off the field. Hosted by Colossal in partnership with Russell Wilson’s 3BRAND, the

competition gives young athletes the opportunity to share their stories and inspire others while

gaining national exposure. For me, being part of this competition is about more than athletic

achievement—it’s an opportunity to represent the values that sports have taught me and the

importance of using those experiences to positively influence others.

Sports have been a huge part of my life for as long as I can remember. I’ve played varsity soccer

and lacrosse at Ward Melville since eighth grade and have been a varsity winter track athlete for

three years. I’ve had the honor of serving as a two-year captain of both my soccer and lacrosse

teams, experiences that have taught me that leadership is much more than a title. It means setting

an example, holding yourself accountable, and finding ways to make the people around you

better.

In lacrosse, I’ve had the opportunity to compete at the national and international level as a U.S.

U-17 National Team midfielder, including being part of the 2025 Rivalry Challenge and Brogden

Cup championship teams. I’ve also played for American Select Long Island Black, earning MVP

honors in 2023 and All-Tournament Team honors in 2024, and have been named to the National

Watchlist from 2023–2025. I’m a Lacrosse Academic All-American, and at Ward Melville, I’ve

been part of a Suffolk County Championship team while earning All-League, All-County, and

Academic All-American recognition.

Soccer has been just as meaningful to me. I’m a three-time New York State Champion and have

earned All-League and All-County honors. I’ve also been fortunate to compete in track, where

I’ve earned All-County, All-State, and All-American honors.

Track became part of my life unexpectedly. After suffering an injury playing soccer, I decided to

step away from basketball and try a sport that would challenge me in a different way. I joined

track as my third sport without knowing where it would take me. I committed myself to training,

pushed far outside my comfort zone, and worked to become faster, stronger, and more

competitive. Eventually, I earned spots on Ward Melville’s 4x400 and 4x800 teams. We qualified

for and competed at New Balance Nationals and Nike Nationals, and our 4x400 team earned

All-American honors. I also earned All-County in the 600m and All-State honors in both the

4x400 and 4x800.


What started as an unexpected change because of an injury became something I’m incredibly

proud of. More importantly, it taught me that sometimes the paths you never planned for can lead

you somewhere better than you imagined.

One of my favorite things to do outside of my own teams is work with younger athletes. I train

kids in lacrosse, helping them develop their skills while also building their confidence. What I

love most is watching a kid go from being unsure of themselves to believing they can accomplish

something they once thought was impossible. Sports have given me so much, and being able to

pass that experience on to younger athletes is something I genuinely value.

Outside of competition, I care deeply about mental health in athletics. I’m a Morgan’s Message

Ambassador, an organization dedicated to breaking the stigma surrounding mental health among

athletes. I’ve brought that mission into my own school through T.E.A.M. W.A.R.D. (Targeting

Emotional and Mental Wellness and Recovery Development), a student-athlete-led group

focused on supporting the mental and emotional well-being of athletes at Ward Melville. I’m also

involved with SALT (Student Athlete Leadership Team), HOSA, Key Club, and National Honor

Society.

Academically, I’ve always tried to challenge myself beyond what is simply required. I’ve taken

an all-Honors and AP course load, earning a 5 on all four AP exams I’ve taken while maintaining

a 96.886 unweighted GPA and 101.290 weighted GPA. I’m also a member of National Honor

Society, World Language Honor Society, and Spanish Honor Society, and have been recognized

as a Lacrosse Academic All-American. I’ve pursued opportunities beyond the classroom as well,

particularly in areas that connect my interests in science, medicine, and athletics. For me,

academics are another form of competition—not against anyone else, but against the limits of

what I thought I could accomplish. I want to understand more, challenge myself, and continue

becoming a better student rather than simply doing what is expected of me.

Ultimately, I’m incredibly proud of the person sports have helped me become. They’ve taught

me how to lead, how to respond when things don’t go according to plan, how to work for

something before knowing whether it will pay off, and how to help others believe in themselves.

I hope to take those lessons with me to Yale—not only to compete at the highest level, but to

continue learning, growing, serving others, and making an impact beyond the field.

I’m incredibly grateful for the opportunity ahead of me and for everyone who has helped me get

here. If you choose to support me on this journey, you’re not just helping me attend Yale—you’re

helping me continue pursuing the education, athletics, leadership, and opportunities that I’ve

worked so hard to build my future around. Thank you for being part of my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment