Sunday, January 2, 2022

Arleas Upton Kea - a Woman of Many Firsts - Videos (full events) moving trailblazer and quite inspiring!

Fellow UT alums and others ... enjoy ! 

Special Tribute by National HBCU Choir -- Retirement video:  https://youtu.be/j16H7ZbttnE

 Longtime AKA Soror Arleas Kea was a member of Delta Xi Chapter of AKA at UT (with me...) 


The link below takes you to podcasts-- you will see “A Woman of Many Firsts” on Arleas

https://www.fdic.gov/news/podcasts/

 

Moving On” article on Arleas:   https://fdicnet.fdic.gov/content/ocom/home/publications/fdic-news/2021/december/moving-on--arleas-upton-keas.html

 

The CFC profile piece from the Washington Post profile on Arleas as a Philanthropic leader  is now available --the digital version.

 

The Center for Women in Law hosted a Perspectives Series Event: A Conversation with Distinguished Alumna Arleas Upton Kea, ’82, Deputy to the Chairman for External Affairs, FDIC, and Veronica Vargas Stidvent, Executive Director of the Center for Women in Law. A video of the interview can be found here.

 

UT videoArleas Distinguished Alumni video is now published too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZLMwcXl2aU

 

Wash Post  profile on Arleas!  https://ourpublicservice.org/our-work/public-service-leadership-model/case-studies/#engagingothers

 

 

Arleas’ Talking Points (EXCELLENT TO SHARE!!)

Chairman’s Town Hall 12-2-21

 

·      Thank you, to the Chairman for inviting me to speak one last town hall meeting for 2021  - a significant year for me.

 

·      And I especially want to thank you,  and all of the senior leadership for empowering  all of the members of the  team to use so much creativity  to put together such a beautiful program  on  yesterday --commemorating my  40 years of service.  

 

·      For those of you did not get a chance to log into the program, I will just take this moment to also express my appreciation to everyone who touched the plans for the program and contributed to it.  The team included DOA, OCOM, and OMWI.  It was a wonderful example of collaboration to get something done in these unusual times.

 

·        I did not know what to expect – for those of you who had schedules that did not allow you to view the program- I understand it will be available for you to watch later.   

 

·       Chairman McWilliams, when you called me a LEGEND - I knew I would not be able to go to sleep last night, but would reflect on the program for most of the night

 

·      The combination of Dan Bendler as the moderator  who had a brilliant mix of humor and seriousness all at the same time --and the content selected for the program made me feel like I was at a production made for Hollywood- and I am still in awe that it was made for me. 

 

·      And the great silver lining to the program was that so many from around the nation were able to join me in the celebration. 

 

·       I have to recap- especially for those of you who were not able to watch

 

·      The program began with the singing of the National Anthem by the  National combined choir of the National Historically Black Colleges and Univ.,  followed by --  to my pleasant surprise, a showing of tribute video that was made to honor me as a distinguished graduate at my alma mater, the Univ. of Texas just a few weeks ago….Then there was a thoughtful photo montage, and  the tributes - that walk down memory lane with all of those former Chairmen was terrific- and good to see that the former Chairmen remain active as they have gone on to make contributions in other areas

o  Then there were the  very touching  remarks  from  Director Gruenberg, 

o  Remarks from the Employee Resource Groups, friends, professional colleagues external to FDIC and then the awesome Board Resolution presented by Chairman McWilliams

 

·      It is one thing to have had a storied journey like mine, but it is an extraordinary experience to listen to how others have experienced my journey through their eyes

 

·       Chairman McWilliams, I just want you and everyone to know that you have done an excellent job commemorating my service and I could not have expected anything more.  It was perfect.

 

·      I have received more e-mail messages than I can respond to in one day- but I will try my best to respond  to all of you who have written to me and in response to your many requests, I  also promise to e-mail my Kea’s Keys that I referred to as well. 

 

·      As I prepare to end my nearly forty years of federal service to our great nation – and let me just say 40 years is a long time --- I  really want to pay tribute to the FDIC

 

·      For only at the FDIC are people like me – able to work within the organization  to seek out and grab opportunities  that I have had.   I had  to laugh as my children- who were able to watch the virtual program with me kept pointing out things that they did not know about me--- and my work and they kept telling me that they had no idea of the extent of  my difficult early  history or the breath of my accomplishments external to the FDIC.  

 

·      And so before I leave the FDIC, I want you to know that I have been preparing for this moment – not just over the past few months since I announced my retirement.  Rather, I would like to think that in everything that I have done throughout my career – was done in an effort to positively impact the future of this great organization.

 

 

·      I’ve learned so much over the years, collected a lot of treasure, and I’d like to now briefly share with you some reflections –- which I hope will inspire you to continue to understand and support the mission of the FDIC and at the same time be the best you can be.  

 

o Listen well – this results in better understanding, better relationships, better teamwork

 

o Don’t be afraid to be a change agent

 

o Be a forever learner – continue to develop yourself – we have so many resources here at the FDIC

 

o Study hard to connect to the mission – no matter what your position or job description says… Determine how it fits in the big picture and always keep in mind that whatever contribution you are making ultimately supports the mission

 

o  Seek to understand how the FDIC’s mission impacts you, families, communities, and the nation as a whole

 

o  No matter what division or office you’re in – when you are asked by family and friends – what do you do at the FDIC – your response should be – to ensure the safety and soundness of our nation’s banking system

 

o  There are so many resources, opportunities, in some cases they present themselves as a void or a need in our organization.  This is where you your own initiative comes in – seek those opportunities, find out how you can be more involved to support it   

 

·      As you all continue to the face the challenges associated with DEI - I would ask you to remember that, here at the FDIC,  as you all work together – there is more that connects you than separates you, and there is enough of everything to ensure that everyone gets what they need

 

·      I would encourage you to continue to be supportive of one another at all levels

 

·      In addition, the pandemic has provided us with the opportunity to think about all aspects of our work differently.  It has allowed us to examine how we can take advantage of technology, to be more flexible in every aspect of our mission

 

·      I would say to all of you to continue to embrace technology and keep it at the forefront of everything that you do.

 

·      So much of what has been attributed to me as accomplishments – could not have been possible without the help and support, and encouragement of so many.

 

·      As I am in my last few days of addressing many of you as an officer and leader of this great organization – parting is indeed bitter sweet – but I have come to realize that for this part of  my life journey – I have reached my destination

 

·      I will now be exploring new venture, charting new journeys, & seeking new destinations

 

·      From the bottom of my heart – I thank you all.  May God continue to bless you all richly & I wish you all a very happy holiday season. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment